2017 has been an exciting year regarding social media. There were plenty of nice trends that took off and some are still developing. Some things have gotten much better, while others were put on a stand-by. However, one thing that was certain was that social media have become very predictable. The rise in number of users was steady and their profits were regular as well. Among many other things that happened in the social media, the following were the most notable.
- Facebook were and still are the biggest social platform, and the main thing that happened with this platform is that they went almost completely mobile. They finished their transition from desktop to mobile devices and now large majority of users are accessing this platform through their mobile devices. Another impressive fact from 2017 is that 80% of Facebook`s revenue came straight from their mobile ads.
- Video content also took over the social media. More and more social media platforms have implemented this into their platforms, and video-driven content was the most used strategy of many marketers in 2017. Even Mark Zuckerberg from Facebook stated his intention that his company will be transformed into a video platform in the upcoming years. They already did the first steps and Live Video feature really took off in 2017 and many of the users used it as a way to connect with other users. Other platforms like Snapchat and Instagram also used this concept a lot in 2017, so video content really was the king in 2017 across all social media platforms.
- Social media also transformed in 2017 in a way in which now they are not only for millenials, but older generations also started using them more and more. A few years ago social media were like a playground for younger generations that had fun online, but not anymore. In 2017, over 50 % of the social media users were above the age of 35. However, interesting fact is that older generations preferred Facebook as their social platform, while younger generations switched to using Snapchat and Instagram. For example, over 80 % of Snapchat users in 2017 were below the age of 35.
- In 2017 there was no more line between what is social media user and media user. Most of the people that used internet were also social media users, and interesting fact is that in 2017 over 70 % of the internet users were at the same time social media users. This trend is expected to rise in the upcoming years as well.
- Finally, social media platforms in 2017 mostly focused on generating new revenue per user rather than on the entire base. Dating on social media significantly increased. Apps like Free Sexting App expand its platform and wisely marketed its app. Social media platforms did their best to build value from individual users instead of going after larger groups of users. Marketers focused primarily in targeting individuals for promoting their products and services. This is another trend that is expected to grow in the next few years.